- JDK (Java Development Kit) :
The JDK includes the JRE plus command-line development tools such as compilers and debuggers that are necessary/useful for developing java applications. JDK provides the API which provides already written classes for many purposes to fast track the application development.
JDK contains the Java Runtime Environemnt (JRE) and additionally provides tools like JAVAC.exe compiler and debugger that are required for java applications development.
- JRE (Java Runtime Environment) :
The JRE provides the run time environment for the java applications. JRE contains the libraries, Java virtual machine and other components necessary for you to run java applications. JRE is the implementation of the JVM that makes the Java platform independent.
Setting up java in windows/mac os
- Download and Install Java from Oracle website or download some open jdk
- Set JAVA_HOME for Mac/Windows
- For Windows add the JAVA_HOME/bin in the system path